Monday 2 February 2009

Groundblog Day.


Hello, how are you? Are you familiar with the film 'Groundhog Day'? "In the movie, actor Bill Murray plays Phil, an arrogant, Scroogelike weather forecaster who spends the night in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania, where he is to do a broadcast the next day about the annual ritual of the coming out of the groundhog. He wakes up the next morning, does his story and is annoyed to discover that he is trapped in Punxsutawney for a second night because of a snowstorm that comes in after the groundhog ceremony.
When he wakes up in his guest house room the next morning, lo and behold, it is the morning of the day before all over again. Everything that happened to him the previous day -- the man trying to start a conversation at the top of the stairs; the old high school acquaintance recognizing him on the street, the ritual of groundhog day -- it all happens again." The quote is from :http://www.transparencynow.com/groundhog.htm
I like that film, it is the type of movie I could watch over and over and over.....Well, because I'm trying to be clever, I have titled this blog: 'Groundblog Day'. So I reckon if someone mispells 'groundhog' in a search engine, they may end up at this blog and wonder what the heck is going on. So if you have mispelt 'groundhog' and ended up here. I say to you:"Hello, this blog will get progressively worse."
Now then, speaking of Groundhog Day, not the movie, the actual event. Groundhog Day is celebrated across the United States and Canada on February 2nd. It is based on a belief that on this day (February 2nd) the groundhog comes out of hole after winter hibernation to look for its shadow. If the shadow is seen and it's a sunny day, then the groundhog foretells six more weeks of winter and thus ongoing miserable, cold weather. However, spring is coming if no shadow is seen because of clouds. The groundhog then reacts accordingly. It goes back into the hole if the weather turns bad, but stays above ground if spring is near. Hmm.. let me get this right, if the groundhog sees its shadow, their is another six weeks of winter? Pardon me, I'm pretty sure that as of February 2nd, there is another six weeks until the spring equinox anyway? 'Punxsutawney Phil', got em' fooled, nice one. Now then, when it comes to 'Gobbler's Knob'....I don't wanna' know but it sure as hell sounds painful.
Hello, how are you? Are you familiar with the film 'Groundhog Day'?

6 comments:

  1. Gary,
    "Uh-wowww!"
    Clever, very clever.
    Great link to 'transparency'.
    Groundblog? I feel like torching mine.
    Love and peace, Dixie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear dcrelief,
    No need to torch your 'Groundblog', it is bright and warm enough already:-)
    Now then, speaking of 'Gobbler's Knob'..perhaps not.
    Thanks for your comment Dixie.
    Thanks for your comment Dixie. Thanks for....................:-)
    Peace, Gary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Gary,
    Groundhog Day sounds a little bit like my own life at the moment. You open the door, you shut the door. You open the curtains, you close the curtains. You clean up the mess, it's there again the next day. The wheels of the clock go round and round, the sun goes up, the sun goes down- life gets tedious don't it?
    But I guess the point of the film was that if we change, then our lives can change, despite the apparent futility of existing. So here's to the power to change through positivity and empathy with others.
    Yours with all the best,
    David.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello David,
    Speaking of doors; you have reminded me of that old saying: When one door closes, another one slams in your face (or something like that).
    "Life gets tedious don't it?" Yes it does, however it is somewhat reassuring that the sun goes up and the sun goes down. Now then, thinking about 'rotation', maybe I should go and rotate.
    Thank you for you comment David.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How very fun!! I love that movie, over and over again... ha ha, i loved the whole repeating sway to your way and trying to capture a ping with the spelling of groundhog, to maybe keep the round going... marvellous that was so much fun... Suzi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi suzi,
    Thank you very much for your comment on my blog. Thank you very much for your comment on my blog. Thank you...(give it a rest Gary).
    Yes indeed, in my own desperate attempt to get more noticed, I have mispelt 'groundhog'. 'Ping, ping'...all aboard.
    Suzi, I have been checking out your blog and it is truly outstanding. Must travel over and leave a comment...
    Thank you very much for your comment on my blog. (don't even think it Gary).
    Kind wishes klahanie aka Gary :-)

    ReplyDelete

I do try to comment back to each commenter individually. However, I might have to shorten my replies or give a group thank you. That way, I can spend more time commenting on your blogs. Thank you and peace, my friend.